What is Rhinoplasty
Nose surgery is clinically called Rhinoplasty but can also be called nose job. It is done to improve the shape and in some cases function of the nose. What can be done is:
- Reduce or increase the size of your nose
- Change the shape of the tip or bridge
- Narrow the distance between your nostrils
- Restore skin coverage of your nose
- Recreate normal contours
- Improve nasal airflow
How is rhinoplasty performed
How nose surgery is done? The surgeon will either make a incision inside the nose or across the skin (called columella) that separates the nostrils. The cartilage that is the support of your nose will be visible and shaped to the desired shape before the skin is put back on the nose again.
Your surgeon will stitch back the skin when the surgery is done. If the incision is done inside the nose there will be no visible scar. If it is done across the vertical strip of skin separating the nostrils the scar on the base of the nose will be very small and not really visible.
How to prepare for rhinoplasty surgery
There are specific steps you should take in order to prepare for surgery. You will discuss this more in detail during the consultation. Normally there are some general guidelines to follow to improve the success of the surgery and recovery. This will also lessen the risk of complications.
- Stick to a well balanced diet and eat healthy to have a strong immune system to help you with the surgery and recovery.
- Staying in shape will help you recover better
- Quit smoking and alcohol at least two weeks before and after a surgery to improve the recovery and health of you for the surgery.
- Make sure to inform the surgeon if you take any medication or even vitamins / supplements. This can be important for the safety of the surgery and recovery.
Nose job complications
Nose jobs are a common surgery we do with great success and satisfaction from clients. But this a serious surgery and should be considered just like any other surgery. Complications are rare but can include:
- A bad reaction to anesthesia. Most regular people have no problem at all so it is very safe. It is considered to be the most safe thing of a surgery.
- Bleeding during surgery. It is very important to inform the surgeon about any vitamins or other supplements that you take so the surgeon can advice you what to do before the surgery to prevent this situation.
- Deep vein thrombosis & Blood clots. If you are up and about soon after the surgery the risk minimizes and helps recovery.
- Delayed healing. Having good health and not using tobacco is good for your healing and recovery so make sure to stop smoking at least 2 weeks before and after the surgery.
- Breathing difficulty after surgery. Deep breath will keep your lungs clear and healthy. But this might be uncomfortable so it is important to not do shallow breathing.
- Infections. You will get antibiotic before and after the surgery but don’t forget to take care of yourself and stay clean to minimize the risks.
Any complication is rare but if you follow the surgeons pre and post operative guidelines you can lower the risk even more.
Naturally you will be bruised and have swelling but treated with medication prescribed from the surgeon you can manage this. You will find that the swelling subside after a while but final result will take up to 6 months.
Scarring after rhinoplasty
Scarring is always a concern when doing any plastic surgery and normally scars produced from plastic surgery will be very flat and fade over time to almost nothing. Some scars will almost become invisible.
Scars will of course be made so that they will not show easily in normal day to day life and the surgeon do all that is possible to make them be as small as possible. Surgery will too advance over time to make techniques more and more advanced and better.
What should you do after a nose surgery?
The general suggestion is to be up and move about already the next day to help out with recovery. After a few days you should be able to be back to work, depending on what kind of work you do.
It is recommended to stay away from hard work and strenuous activities for a at least 3 to 4 weeks.
It is recommended that you stay in Bangkok for at least 10 days to be able to have the surgery and the post-op checkup with the surgeon when he will check the recovery and take any stitches.